How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed relative or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your used hearing aids instead of getting rid of.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can do it.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Around 14% of the total population, has hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are above 50 years old
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would benefit almost 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with several health problems from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. In fact, new studies come out every day showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in some instances even reverse them).
And the final persuasive point is that hearing loss can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in income every single year. But that expense can actually be decreased by as much as 50% by using hearing aids.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can make a big impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial well-being, for a person in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are lots of volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can just give us a call.